Friday, July 25, 2008

Friday Feature

One of my interests is in moving the backlist in libraries. Netflix talks a lot about this and identifies it as one of the big contributors to its success. Essentially, moving the backlist refers to rentals coming from older DVDs. Recommendations play a large role in moving the backlist as do the wealth of unusual titles available to Netflix subscribers because otherwise some of the titles may be "lost" to the customers unless their presence is pointed out to the customer.

Libraries are like Netflix in that they have a tremendous backlist--a lot of wonder books, movies and CDs that are gems but undiscovered ones or ones that simply need to be rediscovered by today's patrons.

Friday is going to be Rediscovering Gem day. Each Friday, I will feature a title that I think would appeal to today's readers if they only knew it existed. I will also point out ways that I think that these books can be publicized by the libraries.

No comments: